Memes and Marketing
What is a meme?
Memes go back to 1976 when Richard Dawkins coined it as a “package of culture” (Quinn, J., n.d.). Memes are usually a story, a fable/parable, a joke, or an expression of speech that use to spread by word of mouth when the internet did not exist.. Nowadays, memes are spread instantly on the internet through forums, email. webpages, and other sources.
Why do people like memes?
Memes have certain characteristics that make them successful and appealing to people. The following are some reasons why people enjoy memes so much:
- Memes are really sociable. They are relatable, encourage conversation, and provoke strong emotional reactions. People feel a sense of belongingness when they are part of the meme, in fact whole communities have been built around memes.
- Memes can easily be shared. Anyone can create a meme and share it over the internet.
- Memes are current. Memes are based on current events. However, it is not uncommon for a old idea to be reintroduced by a meme.
- Memes are funny. People like getting a good, especially if it’s from something that they can relate to (Branson, M., n.d.).
Why use memes for marketing?
Memes can be very useful marketing tools because they can capture the attention of individuals easily. Here are some reasons why:
- Memes are a great way of spreading visual content. Visual content marketing allows brands to communicate their message more easily because it captures the viewer’s attention.
- Memes are easily sharable. One of the reasons why memes are so popular is because they are so easily sharable, so people will be happy to share your meme if they like it. Its basically free advertising because people are doing the work for you after you have created the meme.
- Memes create community. People can relate to the messages in memes so it becomes more personable
- It’s easy and cheap. You can create your own meme or you can “memejack” an image that is already viral and put your own message on it (Akanegbu, A., 2012)
Akanegbu, A., (2012). Get to Know Meme: 4 Reasons to Use Memes for Marketing. Retrieved on April 21, 2013 from http://engage.tmgcustommedia.com/2012/08/get-to-know-meme/
Branson, M., (n.d.). How to Effectively Market With Memes. Retrieved on April 21, 2013 from http://www.blueglass.com/blog/meme-marketing/
Quinn, J., (n.d.). 7 Thigns Marketers Should Know About Memes. Retrieved on April 21, 2013 from http://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/blog/7-things-marketers-should-know-memes-faq/